Bragadocious Ostinerd Ostinato


Call me your greasy surrogate
cannibal, your Caliban,  
your sexed up Caribbean Taliban.

Rezone me.  Clone me. Skull and bone me.
Prop me up.  Jack me up. Crack me up.
Bag me.  Tag me with hypodermic platanos,       

switchblades, black beans, boleros, and salsa.
Unload clips at my feet ‘til I shake my hips.
Dress me up to play your bloods and your crips.                                               

Make me your island cabana boy toy, man maid,
tour guide, ghetto clown, bareback barback
in braids, your docile simian, semantically

frantically, pedantically panned. Brand me.
Strand me. Café y pan me. Drop my slang
from your canon. Dis’ my Fanon. Dispatch me

like drone assassins in Pakistan to work
in your sweat shops  while you work on your tan,
nap on my coast, make a toast, eat my roast

and boast that I’m the one sweating your border?
Report to your official superiors that I’m inferior,  
that I’m pulling triggers and scams          

selling kilos and grams while your President
lands on my plains in planes packed with cocaine.            
I leave that kind of artful dodging

to your publicly appointed placaters,
your anointed creation haters. I’m too busy scanning
the blueprints of the original womb raiders,

the masters of eugenic pyrotechnics,  techniques
perfected by your congress and senate,
pushing dope dished by lobbyists, weekend warriors, 

ethnocentric hobbyists robbing wavy gravy trains
splayed from Kansas City to Haiti. You dropped
your Walmarts, your Catholic churches, your Church’s

chicken on me, still I got my own flavor. I copped
a feel from your savior. I’m a ranter and raver.
I got digable syllables, a sancocho of styles.  

I hopped the Antilles like Cleopatra rode the Nile.           
I’m too pretty for your red carpet, too Albizu
for your allegations. You’ve captured my flag

but I captured your imagination.
It’s true you regulate what I grow,
relegate what I know,

and to pray or to play I got to pay you 
a fee, pero we both know that you 
wish you could dance like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment